Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rain, Rain, Please Don't Go Away

Amber once said, "as farmer's daughters, we learn at a young age to pray for rain." This statement is entirely true to this day as 20-something-year-olds. I pray for rain daily and long for the sight of green grass in the ditches beside the highway near my parents' house.
Tonight we got lucky enough to have a small rain shower. No matter where you grew up rain always smells the same. I think that smell is possibly the best part of a rain shower. I will never get tired of standing in my front yard in the rain, feeling it come down on my skin.
Our garden comes to life, soaking up every coveted drop of sustenance. 

The calm after the storm right after the sun goes down is one of my favorite times. Those moments where it's not quite dark yet and the only thing besides the single cloud in the sky is the blinking lights of the radio tower a few blocks from my current residence. I don't think I will ever get used to living "in town," as my dad says. It's hard to remember that you can't run outside and yell or wrestle your sister in your front yard when your neighbors may or may not be inside calling 911.
I will be on the lookout for more June showers, maybe I will even be able to get better pictures next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment