Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Not Just The Farmer's Daughters Anymore

Once upon a time, we were just the farmer's daughters and content to be so.  My dad has planted wheat and raised cattle since he was old enough to walk - and that was that.  

Times have changed and the market has changed and my dad isn't as young as he would like us to think he is.  Working cattle is hard and there is no money to made for a small time farmer in what little  wheat we plant... so now what?

A lovely little thing called crop diversification is about to take place at the Phillips Farm.  Rather than fight through the hardships, we are going to revamp it and go a different direction.  

I was surprised that Dad jumped on board so quickly.  I did my research and explained the risks and rewards.  He nodded his head without expression (making my heart sink a little...) and when I was through, he said "That sounds like a good idea.  You can be in charge."

Rev that tractor up, Bobby... we're planting something new this year!
Look out, folks - there is about to be a passing of the torch (or perhaps more like a sharing of the torch).  The farmer's daughters are about to become farmers themselves.  Stay tuned for more details soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment