Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Salad To-Go


If you're like me and it pains you to pay nearly $6 for a fast food salad when you're on the run, only to find that it's made of mostly Iceberg lettuce, browned slightly and light on the chicken, here's your fix.

I must confess that this idea is not original.  I discovered it on Pinterest.  I love that place.  You should follow me on Pinterest - I pin lots of good stuff.

The original description says to use a mason jar, but I didn't want to go buy new ones, so I just used a large jelly jar that I sterilized in the dishwasher.

Pour two tablespoons of your favorite dressing on the bottom of the jar (yes, that is enough!) and then either add chunks of meat or cheese or diced vegetables.  The goal is that the lettuce doesn't touch the dressing until you're ready to eat it.  Then, simply fill with the greens of your choice.  Here I've used half Iceberg lettuce for some crunch and half baby spinach because it is delicious.

I've also covered it in crumbled up Ritz crackers - also delicious.

Store it in the fridge for up to a week (maybe even longer if it doesn't brown) and when you're ready to eat it, simply shake and the salad dressing will coat the entire mixture.  Genius.  My hat is off to whoever thought of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment