Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Secret Magical Playground In The Woods

Spending your childhood in the country is comparable to the old joke about buying a small child an expensive gift, when all they want to do is play with the box.  Instead of playing video games or going to the park, we entertained ourselves with much simpler diversions.

I can remember hiking through the pasture with my younger sister and my niece and three nephews (we are all about the same age, by the way, but that's another story).  Each excursion was a greater adventure than the last.  We discovered a "secret bone yard" where we knew some tragic massacre must've taken place.  My dad later told me it was where they hauled the carcass when a calf died.  I like the earlier rendition better, though.

There was also a "land of hidden treasure" where beautiful old glass bottles and remnants of all kinds of interesting things were stowed.  I laughed when I found out that it was actually a dump of sorts where someone hauled a few loads of unwanted junk in the 1950's.  Some of that junk really was treasure, though and I still have it today.  I have always been a connoisseur of junk.  Still am...  I LOVE OLD JUNK! (also another story...)

All of these things came flooding back to me when my children came in one evening after playing around the farm to tell me that Grandpa Bob had showed them a "secret magical playground in the woods".  I shot my dad a skeptical look and he smiled mischievously and nodded.  (He also told them that the same woods were haunted by witches.)



I shook my head and followed as the boys ushered me out to the woods.  When we got there, I realized that what was so magical and enchanting to them was an old swing set that my older siblings had played on over 30 years ago.  Our dad had used the tractor to haul it from the backyard out into the woods where no one would get hurt on it.  Over the years, the swing set has become wedged between two Honey Locust Trees and the base has sunk in the ground a foot or so, making it perfectly safe and secure - and mysterious!

I laughed as I told my dad I didn't need to worry about buying them a new swing set for Christmas.  They were more excited about junk!  Poor boys, they got it from their mamma.

Next time you feel guilty about not buying your children everything their hearts desire, step back and give a new perspective to something old.  After all, when was the last time you heard a child refer to a store-bought swing set as secret or magical?

Welcome to the farm.

Grandpa Bob found a newer swing in the garage - the old one was shot!


Somehow, they were actually using this two-person teeter totter swing without seats!

There's even a cat walk.

The slide, I'm afraid, is un-salvagable.  The boys have told me of their plans to build a new one, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment