Friday, January 27, 2012

Even The Fuddy-Duds Are Going Green

Farmers can be fuddy-duds.  I can say that because I come from a family of them - which technically probably makes me one too.  (A farmer, not a fuddy-dud.  I'm too young to be a fuddy-dud - and I will try my best not to use that word again in this post.)

You might think that getting farmers to "go green" would take an act of congress, but farmers were truly the first in the movement.

Farmers have always treated the quality of their land and crops with a fervent zeal that is unrivaled.  They were among the first to harness clean wind energy to pump water.  They made the effort to control pests with natural methods and herbicides rather than dangerous chemicals, because, after all, their families were going to eat those crops, too.



Instead of buying new things, farmers often choose to reuse something else - like how they often fix a worn out fence post with a large thick branch.  (Signature handy work of my dad and grandpa.)

In all seriousness, though, my goal is that the posts you will find in the "Green Farmer" section of this blog will provide valuable information to everyone from the seasoned farmer to the weekend gardener while offering a forum for innovative and creative methods of responsible stewards of our environment - and maybe even each you how to save some green along the way.

Welcome to the green farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment